Deadline to apply: March 6, 2019
This position is full time (40 hr/ wk). Starting range is $32,000 – $33,500 with full benefits (health, dental, life, long term disability, 403b).
Reports to: Executive Director
About First Witness
First Witness is 501(c)3 non-profit located in the heart of Duluth, Minnesota. First Witness Child Advocacy Center is a safe, child-friendly place for victims of child sexual and physical abuse to tell their story. We provide child appropriate forensic interviews, crisis counseling to children and families and age appropriate education on personal body safety for children. We also provide forensic interview training to social workers, law enforcement officials, county attorneys and others who work with children or investigate child abuse allegations.
At First Witness we believe every child deserves ongoing safety and opportunities to heal from abuse. First Witness is a nationally accredited child advocacy center working as part of a multidisciplinary team made up of public and private agencies involved with the investigation, prosecution, medical examination and advocacy services for children and their non-offending caregivers. Prior to First Witness, children were likely to be interviewed 3-4 times throughout the investigation. Those involved with the process saw the need for change. Our team protocol requires just one record, child-centered interview at the First Witness building in Duluth. Our goal is to make sure children are safe. Our Services Include: Evaluation and Assessment, Family Services, Prevention & Training.
- Provide family advocacy to children and non-offending caregivers which includes:
- Providing information regarding dynamics of abuse and the coordinated multidisciplinary team response to child abuse
- Provide or ensure updates on case status for families
- Provide assistance in accessing/obtaining victim’s rights as outlined by MN Statute 611A
- Provide court education, support and accompaniment for all court processes
- Provide assistance with access to treatment and other services such as protective orders, housing, public assistance, domestic violence
- Provide education and support groups
- Develop services and programs to meet identified needs of children and non-offending caregivers
- Evaluate groups and services to ensure positive impact on families
- Participate in all care reviews
- Ensure that all services meet NCA Standards
Community Outreach and / Training
- Conduct community education and prevention education through Safe and Strong Child Program in local schools and other organizations. Some out of state travel required.
- Provide professional training to advocates as an Advocacy Trainer
- Develop collaborative programs with other non-profits
- Participate in First Witness MDT Meetings and other multidisciplinary teams throughout the community
- Support positive environment for families, team members and all others who enter First Witness
- Build positive community collaborations and relationships
- Participate in training, review interview DVDs attend video conferences as appropriate
- Participate in staff meetings, board meeting and team meetings
- All other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree, Associate Degree, Certificate or Relevant Experience
- Commitment to ending child abuse
- Experience providing advocacy to families preferred
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Strong written and verbal communication, critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to learn quickly
- Experience working in a team environment
- Creative trouble shooter
How to apply
Please send cover letter, resume’ and professional references to Tracie Clanaugh at firstname.lastname@example.org.