- About Us
Finance and Operations Manager
The Minnesota Children’s Alliance (Alliance) is a statewide nonprofit coalition that provides leadership and expertise to Children’s Advocacy Centers, multidisciplinary teams and partner agencies in Minnesota through mentoring, training and technical assistance.
The Alliance seeks a mission-oriented, strategic leader with experience managing finance and operations in a nonprofit organization. This position reports to the Executive Director and is a newly created position. The Finance and Operations Manager will oversee the organization’s finances, grant budgets and reports, office technology, as well as office operating procedures.
The Finance and Operations Manager will also serve as a thought partner to the Executive Director and Alliance team in executing the Alliance’s strategic plan.
- Provide overall financial oversight and monitoring including development and implementation of sound fiscal management practices and internal controls.
- Manage and oversee monthly bookkeeping, in partnership with contract accountant, including payroll oversight, invoicing/billing, and financial tracking of grants.
- Manage organization’s cash flow, financial trend analysis and forecasting.
- Manage tracking and reporting for all federal, state, philanthropic funds and contracts, including monthly grant reporting, desk reviews, and reconciliations.
- Analyze and present financial reports to the Executive Director and Board of Directors.
- Coordinate and lead annual audit process, annual tax return and 990 filing.
- Oversee and lead the annual budgeting and planning process, including grant budgets according to grant guidelines, in partnership with the Executive Director. Monitor progress, and keep the Executive Director regularly updated on the organization’s financial status.
- Allocate funds using appropriate judgment to ensure all account activity is correctly classified according to grant guidelines in collaboration with the Executive Director.
- Evaluate and manage Alliance’s technology and infrastructure systems, making recommendations to the Executive Director.
- Evaluate office procedures and provide ongoing recommendations for new practices, procedures and systems.
- Execute contracts according to funding guidelines.
- Update and maintain agency financial protocol and policy annually.
- Monitor and track donations in collaboration with Executive Director.
- Provide administrative support to Executive Director as needed.
- Support the overall goals and objectives of the Alliance through additional responsibilities as assigned.
The ideal candidate will have experience developing and managing strong financial and operational systems in a nonprofit environment, as well as be a strong collaborator with excellent communication skills. The Finance and Operations Manager must have analytical skills and have the ability to translate strategy into tactics and processes. The Manager must have a solid understanding of cost allocation methods. Additionally, the Manager will be a recognized leader with personal qualities of integrity, credibility and commitment to the Alliance mission.
- Deep nonprofit finance knowledge, including nonprofit financial management.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel and the ability to work with its tables function, and proven expertise in financial modeling and budgeting, including experience with QuickBooks.
- Knowledge in grant management and administration.
- Experience of final responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting and audit coordination for a nonprofit organization.
- Ability to work in the fast-paced environment of a growing nonprofit organization. A multi-tasker with the ability to wear many hats and the flexibility to easily shift priorities.
- Excellent communication and relationship-building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate and work with diverse partnerships and memberships.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work independently.
- Develop and adhere to policies and procedures, including developing new financial policies and procedures as needed.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, analytical and interpersonal skills.
- Strong sense of ethics and integrity.
- Ability to work collaboratively, as well as independently, with minimal instruction and guidance.
Experience and Education
- 3 – 5 years of financial management and operations experience within a nonprofit environment.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree.
- Position requires successful completion of criminal background check and I-9 verification.
- Must have access to a vehicle, possess a valid Minnesota driver’s license, and provide proof of insurance, as the position will require some local travel.
Salary and Benefits
- Full-time, salaried position.
- Generous Paid Time Off and holidays.
- Health Insurance
- Starting salary range is $55,000 – $65,000.
- Hybrid office model
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to Marcia Milliken, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Minnesota Children’s Alliance is an EEO/AA employer: women, BIPOC, people with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Cultural responsiveness is essential to achieving our mission. Our aspirational aim is to advance equity and work toward building a multicultural workplace community that balances culturally responsible practice with internal serf-awareness and reflection.
This requires a commitment, by every member of the Alliance team, to increase awareness of our own cultural beliefs, values and biases, self-reflection and individual growth and to actively integrate diversity, equity and inclusion into our organizational culture at the Alliance.