This course empowers faith communities to recognize and respond to cases of sexual abuse, physical abuse, emotional abuse, and neglect. Included are discussions detailing the impact of child abuse on a victim’s sense of spirituality and offering concrete suggestions for working with medical and mental health professionals to assist a child in coping with maltreatment. The course also discusses ideal child protection policies for a faith-based institution, including handling a situation in which a convicted sex offender seeks to join a congregation. A review of various child abuse case scenarios and a discussion on appropriate and inappropriate responses allows for real-life problem-solving and feedback.
*This training will be conducted virtually*
Why is this training important for every faith community?
- 93% of sex offenders describe themselves as being ‘religious’
- 20% of 2864 church leaders knew of at least one convicted sex offender who was attending or was a member of their church (Christianity Today 2010)
- Child abuse Survivor Quote: “I went online to every faith community in my area trying to find a place in which I felt safe to worship. None of them gave me any information about safety policies in their community so I just gave up trying.”
Clergy, chaplains, youth ministers, faith leaders, counselors and other members of a faith community who may work with children or families impacted by child abuse.
- Victor Vieth, Chief Program Officer, Education and Research, Zero Abuse Project
- Alison Feigh, Director, Jacob Wetterling Resource Center
- Pete Singer, Executive Director, G.R.A.C.E.; Founding Director, Care in Action, Minnesota
To pay by credit/debit card
To pay for your registration by credit card, please select the first ticket option ( “Credit Card payment”), and then use the pay option “PayPal” – you DO NOT NEED a PayPal account to pay with a Credit Card. When you click “Place your Order”, you will be taken to a page that will allow you to pay by credit/debit card. If you need an invoice to issue payment, please select the 2nd ticket option (“Pay via an Invoice”).
To pay by invoice
If you select this ticket option to register, you will be emailed an invoice within 2 weeks of your registration. There is an additional nominal charge to use this payment method.
To direct the invoice to be emailed to someone else in your agency, please email our Senior Program Manager, Suzanne Severson (firstname.lastname@example.org) with this information.
A $75.00 cancellation fee will be imposed for cancellations made up to 3 working days prior to a scheduled training – no refunds are allowed less than 3 working days prior to a scheduled training. If available, a registration transfer to another scheduled training within 6 months may be made for a $25.00 administrative fee.
***Group Discount: Buy 4 registrations get the 5th registration free. When selecting this option for purchase, the cost of 5 tickets is set to equal the cost of four full registrations and one free registration. Must purchase all registrations at the same time. Group registrations are not eligible for cancellation or refund (substitutions for registered participants may be made at any time).