The latest research has successfully concluded that young people who run away from home are often victims of physical, sexual, or emotional abuse. They have also suffered trauma as a bystander to domestic violence, substance abuse in the home, the death of a loved one from an overdose or violent act, or when a parent or guardian is arrested. Also, many children of these children abuse substances and are at high risk of human trafficking. Community stakeholders such as police officers, educators, mental health professionals, and child protective service providers must work together to identify these young people and develop effective community wide plans in providing protective factors. During this training, you will learn how to develop an action plan and implement various proven tools to provide protective factors to this critically at-risk population.
Upon completion of this training, you will be able to:
- Utilize the Runaway Risk Screening Tool to identify children that have runaway due to their exposure to adverse childhood experiences.
- Identify young people who are most vulnerable to human trafficking recruitment
- Establish a local “Youth Huddle” which is essential in preparing an individual youth action plan to help children exposed to violence and other adverse experiences
- Utilize the Home Safety Worksheet and Children Exposed to Trauma Form to identify children that have been exposed to adverse childhood experiences
- Enhance the safety of all involved in this effort including front line law enforcement officers, victims of domestic violence, and young people exposed to domestic violence
- Initiate community-wide protective factors for children exposed to trauma including the arrest of a parent, witnessing a loved one pass away, or suffer a serious medical incident
This training is best for:
- Community Member
- Community Corrections Officer
- Court System Personnel
- Emergency Management
- Law Enforcement
- Law Enforcement Support
- Social Workers
- Tribes/Tribal Partners
- Victim Service Providers
Register by January 5, 2024.
This is a paid training program. The training program viewing is limited to only the paid registrant. Any recording of the program, sharing of the presentation or presentation link for live or recorded viewing, dissemination of course materials, or other use of the training event is strictly prohibited. Only the paid registrant for this course will receive a certificate of attendance/program completion.